TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA
maximum-security facility, this is the first federal prison to incorporate a
four-story special housing/special confinement unit to hold disciplinary, death
row, and administrative segregation inmates. The prison is located on the same
property as the existing USP and is designed in a “compound plan” arrangement
with related site development and site utilities.
The most notable
features of this design-build project include ...
- six general housing units with
- a special confinement unit,
- an outside administration
building and inside administration offices,
- seven guard towers,
- an emergency operations center,
- security and support functions,
- a central utility plant,
- a multi-use building that
includes the UNICOR factory,
- food and health services,
- a recreation building, and
- maintenance shops.
*A project of SchenkelShultz Architecture Fort Wayne, now Elevatus Architecture